- Google releases the top trending movies of 2023, revealing which films saw spikes in traffic that were then sustained over long periods of time.
- The list maps pretty well onto the year’s box office trends, with mega-hits Barbie and Oppenheimer listed alongside surprises like Sound of Freedom and Five Nights At Freddy’s.
- The only movie not released in 2023 is Everything Everywhere All at Once, which won big at the Oscars in March.
Google reveals their top trending movies of 2023. This year in film has brought releases from a number of major franchises, including Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning Part One, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, Fast X, as well as original hits such as Oppenheimer. As 2023 comes to a close, the top-performing film at the box office remains Greta Gerwig’s Barbie.
Now, Google reveals the top trending movies of 2023. Distinct from top searches in purely numeric terms, this data tracks spikes in traffic that were then sustained over long periods of time, and only includes the United States. Those films were:
- Sound of Freedom
- Everything Everywhere All at Once
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
- The Super Mario Bros. Movie
- Creed 3
- John Wick: Chapter 4
- Five Nights at Freddy’s
- Cocaine Bear
Barbie and Oppenheimer’s appearances on the top trending searches list come as no surprise when looking at 2023 in film. Released side-by-side on July 21, the movies’ shared release date was coined “Barbenheimer” and became a huge double-feature event. The Barbenheimer box office battle was the subject of memes and discourse for months before the films’ release, and both ended up doing impressively well.
Also high-performing at the box office was The Super Mario Bros. Movie, which appears on this list. Some major franchise films including Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny and Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning Part One did not make the cut, and their omissions actually fall in line with 2023 box office trends, as these films underperformed expectations.
The victory of a 2023 movie in one specific box office arena constitutes a win for Disney, but it speaks poorly of a major blockbuster trend.
Of the ten films featured on Google’s top trending searches of 2023, nine of them were released this year. The one exception is Best Picture winner Everything Everywhere All At Once, which hit theaters in 2022, but achieved Oscars glory in March. Overall, Google’s list is fairly reflective of 2023’s major box office successes and includes no streaming exclusives – especially notable given how streaming dominated the trending TV list.